Now that I have tons of time during this break, I decided to learn myself a haskell and as a way to apply what I’ve learned, I’ve planed to switch from awesomeWM to xmonad. Besides, I’ve being troubled with my awesome config’s memory leak, which I haven’t got the chance to look deeply into, so this might be a good chance to give xmonad a try. However, it spent me a while figuring out how to set the dev environment for xmonad.
vimtex is one of the most commonly used LaTeX plugin (which is also what I use) in the vim community that supports auto-completion, conceal, synctex pdf preview, and many other modern features. In the last few months after I switched to Linux, the macros I defined in my LaTeX template has grown to such an extent that I have to move them into separate packages and classes. Doing so is quite easy, but I got a problem: the commands in my own packages and classes are not in the candidate list of auto-completion!
One thing that I do really miss after switching from Mac OS to Arch Linux is Alfred. I heard there is an alternative for Linux called Albert but I haven’t tried it out. I mean, on Linux everything related to command line is much easier than on Mac, and I don’t feel it really necessary to use an app launcher as complicated as Alfred. However, there are times you do need to access and launch something directly. Considering that the default dmenu doesn’t fit my need, I decide to implement a simple fuzzy app launcher with fzf and other tools.
Since I started to use Arch Linux, I’ve also switched from using plugins such as vim-plug to using the native Vim8 packages utility. However, I encountered the problem where if we do
packadd SOMEPACKAGE after (Neo)vim has initialized, and unfortunately if this plugin comes with an
after directory, for example in an
autocmd such as
autocmd FileType python vim-textobj-python, the plugin will not work correctly due to the way Vim8 packages utility handles
Tridactyl has been a decent replacement for Vimperator or Pentadactyl for me since I said goodbye to the XUL extensions. It supports the invocation of external editor (I mean Vim, of course) in its own insert mode pretty well, but the default behavior is to open Vim in a new terminal emulator window. Considering that I’m using
tmux for most of the time, I start to wondering if I could do some tweak with the
editorcmd so that instead of a new terminal emulator window, a termporary tmux window will be opened.
It happens to be the case where I run into the need of using ruby and tk.Anyway, it tooks me a while to figure out how to compile a ruby by using
ruby-build with a brew-installed
Today I come into the situation where I am forced to use Eclipse, one of those huge IDEs that isolate me from the warm terminal world. However, as a user of (neo)vim, nothing can stop me from doing things in a, at least, vim-like environment. At this moment, one tool comes into my mind: Eclim, which I have been wondering about since the time when I was still using Windows XP back in my high school.
Today I managed to set up the Python environment for Neovim, which is a little bit tricky, so I decide to write down the problems I overcame so that someone could be helped to configure these easily.
Today I found an interesting discussion about some interesting statements:
$ echo <(<<<"I am a cool here-string") /dev/fd/11 $ cat <(<<<"I am a cool here-string") I am a cool here-string
To understand how this works, we need to split the statements into pieces.
I am used to use tmux on our server via ssh with the simple but elegant command
ssh blabla@hostname -t tmux, but today I suddenly realized that under my tmux all the Unicode special characters doesn’t display correctly for some reason. If I remembered correctly they did display without any fault just yesterday, but anyway after a few minutes I found (probably) a solution to this problem.
Everyone likes true color. But the true color support doesn’t come out of the box for most terminal emulators, and some of them are just never going to support it. However, for some of them with some simple tweak true color will just simply be available.
Today I realized that iTunes does not support
*.flac files at all. Stubborn user as I am, NO ONE can force me to get used to their way of doing things. It’s okay for iTunes to only support its own format of lossless music, but I just choose to not use it.
So here is how I tried to get my favorite Foobar2000 to work in osx by using wineskin:
Here I record what I did to install ruby on my macbook.